Taking college courses while still in high school can be a great way to gain experience, build your resume, and get a jump start on college. As college admissions becomes more selective, schools are looking for students who have shown they can complete college-level work. We have a number of options open to us at Hopewell High School and we hope more and more students continue to take full advantage of them. These options are open to all students but transportation and tuition are the students’ responsibility.
Penn State Beaver: Penn State offers a 75% tuition discount to high school Dual Enrollment students bringing the cost for a 3 credit to $511 plus books and fees. To apply, fill out the Dual Enrollment form and bring it to Mr. Collins. You can find information on available courses and course schedules from your guidance counselor or from Penn State’s registrar’s office. If there is a financial hardship that may prevent you from taking a course Penn State does have limited grant money available that can help with the remaining cost of tuition. See Mr. Collins for more details.
Robert Morris University:
Hopewell students can participate in two programs at RMU.
- The First Semester In College agreement between Hopewell and RMU is a great opportunity for our students. We offer 1 class each semester in 11th and 12th grade and another class over the summer between 11th and 12th grade. These courses are offered at HHS on Saturday mornings. If a student completes the program they will have finished their first semester of college and will graduate with 15 college credits. This is a cohort program which begins in 11th grade. Students will need to sign up at the end of 10th grade and are not allowed to join the cohort once it has begun. One of the benefits of this program is that the courses are offered at a convenient location and consistent time. It is easy to plan when you know your schedule each semester. With the other two Dual Enrollment options, each course meets at different times on different days. RMU offers a 75% off of tuition for these courses which brings the cost to approx. $814.50/course. Contact Mr. Collins if you are interested in this program.
- The second is a traditional Dual Enrollment program similar to those at CCBC and PSU-B. In order to apply, contact Mr. Dave Hartley in the Academic Affairs office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-397-6231. There is no dedicated Dual Enrollment application. RMU offers these courses at $204/credit so a normal 3-credit course is $612 plus books and fees. CLICK HERE to access a list of available courses and course schedules.
Hopewell Students can participate in three programs at CCBC.
- CCBC Aviation Academy – This exciting program allows students interested in aviation careers the opportunity to start taking classes as early as 10th grade at one of the top aviation programs in the country. There are three options within this program: Professional Pilot, Air Traffic Control, and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). All three careers are high paying and in demand. Students will spend ½ their day at CCBC taking college courses and ½ their day at Hopewell taking their core classes to meet graduation requirements. If a student begins the program in 10th grade they’ll graduate with a year and a half of college completed. The cost of the program is $193/credit plus books, fees, and flight time. More information can be found HERE. Interested students should contact Dr. Dreshman for more details.
- CCBC Health Academy – This is a new program at CCBC which is beginning in the Fall of 2016 and is an exciting opportunity for students interested in careers in a health care related field. Students will spend ½ their day at CCBC taking college courses and ½ their day at Hopewell taking their core classes to meet graduation requirements. Upon graduation from the Health Academy they will have earned either 28 or 32 college credits – the equivalent of their first year of college. The cost of the program is $193/credit plus books and fees. This program is designed for high achieving students. More information can be found HERE. Interested students should contact Dr. Dreshman for more details.
- CCBC Dual Enrollment - CCBC also allows high school students to take Dual Enrollment college courses. More information and Dual Enrollment applications can be found HERE. Bring completed applications to Mr. Collins. CCBC courses are offered at a cost of $193/credit so a normal 3-credit course would be $579 plus books and fees. Information on available courses and course schedules can be found HERE.
Normally Hopewell students take Dual Enrollment courses after school or in the evenings. College classes are recorded on our transcripts but they do not count towards graduation requirements, GPA, or class rank.