Is College for Everyone?
From the desk of Dr. Dreshman
No! College is NOT for everyone! Consider these scenarios:
- Students who want to pursue a specific career that does not require a college education are better served by a specialized training program.
- Students who do not enjoy academic study and are unsure what they want to do in the future may want to work for a while before pursuing any type of postsecondary training or education. Time may be the best teacher!
- Students who are interested in skilled trades often thrive in union apprenticeship programs; doing the work beside an experienced person is often the best education in the world.
- Students whose families have a small business may find that they want to work in the business while they take courses on a part-time basis, to supplement their real-life learning and enhance the family business.
- Students who feel strongly about serving their country or who are looking for a structured experience as a next step in their lives may opt to explore what each branch of the military has to offer.
Each of us needs to find work that we enjoy and satisfies us. Some people are primarily interested in making money; others are more interested in achieving specific goals or helping people. Some people want it all! What is important to remember is this:
All kinds of work can be honorable. The key to life satisfaction comes from listening to your heart to figure out what the right path is for you at this time.
Using the ASVAB test (see the section entitled “What is the ASVAB Career Exploration Program?”) is one way to help you figure out what you want to do. Job shadowing is another good option. This is a chance to spend time with someone who is working in a field you are curious about; often you can simply “shadow” them for a day or more to see if this career is a fit for you. You can also ask adults you know about their work – what is involved in their day-to-day work life, what is satisfying about it, what is frustrating, and would they make a different choice if they could. In short, get information and make your own choice. Become who YOU want to be!